Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

803 Router.

I have a question regarding a Cisco 803 which has 1 ISDN BRI/Ethernet Router, 4Port Hub, 2 POTS interfaces. Say you had a server hanging off the LAN side (one of the 4 port hub ports). If you had a telecommuter that wanted to access the servers on the LAN, if you attached a modem to one of the POTS ports, could the telecommuter dial into this modem and access the LAN server (similar to when people dial into a corporate network)? Is this the function of an access server and if so is the Cisco 803 capable of this or would you need a totally different box?

Hope that someone can clarify and apologies if this is a really dumb question!

Dazzler.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 803 Router.

The POTS port cannot be used for modem access; it has no modem or line control to configure. Instead, it is intended only for a telephone connection. You can, however, have the remote user dial into the BRI port (they would obviously need ISDN service). In general, though, the 803 is designed for remotes to use for access, versus for remotes to dial-in for access.

If you want to provide async access for remote users, you best (small) bet would be a 1700 or 2600 platforms with async (analog or digital) modems used internally.

Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate the POTS port has no modem built in, but I take it you cannot attach an external modem to this port and dial into the external modem?

Also, what benefit is there to be gained by plugging a phone into the POTS port?

Cisco Employee

803/804 is kind of "Small Office Home Office" router where you can access the internet over the bri line and use the telephone off the POTS port for voice calls...So you can talk to internet on one b-channel and place/receive voice calls on the other b-channel..Tejal

Views
Helpful
Replies