Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

806 routers don't work

During my Cisco Academy days I bought the Cisco 806 Broadband Router - a fixed-configuration dual Ethernet platform.

I turned the unit off for the summer semester and when it was turned back on - it no longer worked. The TX/RX lights on both the Internet and LAN sides are steady-on.

I sent the unit to Cisco, in return I got a refurbished unit - 3 times I did this - 3 times I got a new serial-number box with the same problem. I contacted the TAC about this, and they deny ever having heard of this issue before. I can't be the ONLY person to have that happen - and with new refab boxes from Cisco too.

In order to get the box to run correctly, I usually opened the top and took out the RAM while the power was ON, then tunred off the power, reset the memory, and then turned it back on. Then it worked, if not I would repeat until it worked - about 2-3 times did the trick.

So, I sent unit 2 back to Cisco, and 2 weeks later I have unit 3 - another refab unit.

Same thing, only this time, I can't get it to work at all.

It appears to be happening when the IOS tries to load - decompressing the image I guess is where the error occurs.

It has the correct IOS in the correct location. Memory is OK, hardware is OK.

I can't get to the console at all - so I used the output I had from the last time it did stop working with at least rmon access.

Does anyone know how to fix this box? Ever heard of this before?

2 REPLIES

Re: 806 routers don't work

Can you send me the error message with which the router stops booting?. With that error message, I can trace out the root cause of the problem.

Looking at ur problem,. I need to get clarified regarding the following aspects;

1.Did u check the power source received?.I mean from the main.is that normal?

2.Which ethernet device u r conecting to 806 router, a hub or a switch or a modem?.Ensure that they are working properly.

Follow these guidelines while connecting the devices to the router:

1.Connect the color-coded cables supplied by Cisco Systems to the color-coded ports on the back panel.

2.If you must supply your own cable, see Appendix A of the below mentioned url for cabling specifications. If this appendix does not provide specifications for a particular cable, we strongly recommend ordering the cable from Cisco Systems.

This is the url that explains about hardware installation of 806 router.

Follow these guidelines when connecting devices to your router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007c81b.html

Re: 806 routers don't work

There is NO error message.

The IOS loads ##### and in the middle stops. I can NO LONGER get ANY OUTPUT from the CONSOLE port at all.

There are NO other devices connected at all.

Step 1: Plug power cable into back of router

Step 2: Plug power into wall

Step 3: Router LAN/Internet TX/RX lights stay steady-ON.

The power is normal, and the cord used is that supplied by Cisco itself.

I CAN get it to stop having the TX/RX lights steady-ON by lifting up the motherboard and placing a conducting object against the solder points of the underside RAM slot.

HOWEVER, ANY bumb causes it to lock up again, and even in this state, NO OUTPUT comes from the CONSOLE port.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content