cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

827, PIX-515, 5 static IP addresses and ADSL. Can it be done?

PJWHITBY
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my scenario. I have the Business 500 package on the telephone line in the office. I do not have an ADSL modem, but I do have a 827 router and 5 static ip addresses. I want to use the 827 router as the ADSL modem and plug the 827 into the PIX. So we have network to PIX, PIX to 827 and then 827 to ADSL circuit. All clear so far. The 5 static IP addresses must be applied to the outside interface of the PIX. This will give me the ability to conduit the 5 public ip addresses to the 5 internal private ip addresses for Web, SMTP, FTP etc etc. Now I am sure that I need to configure the 827 to bridge the IP from ADSL to Ethernet, but after reading loads of configs etc, I am puzzled. The ADSL connection is PPPoA and uses AAL5MUX framing. I also need to be able to pass the username and password provided by the ISP.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Regards

Paul Whitby

3 Replies 3

reswaran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

How about using CRWS, a built-in tool to configure your C827 DSL router. It has the ability to auto-discover the type of connection your ISP is using and configure your router for the same. Or else, you can select your own necessary template and deliver the configuration.

For more info . visit,

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/nemnsw/rtwbto20/

Thanks,

Ravikumar Eswaran.

Thanks for the advice but the CRWS doesnt seem to do what I need it to do.

Just to recap.

ADSL => C827 => PIX515

But all the public IP addresses I have must terminate on the PIX515.

I do not want a new private subnet between the C827 and the PIX515.

Our usual internet connection is

FrameRelay => C1601 => PIX515 and this works well with the public IP's terminating on the outside interface of the PIX, but the serial interface of the C16001 has an ip address that belongs to the ISP, now this is not the case with the ADSL and C827.

Can the C827 be told to act like an ADSL modem, possibly some sort of bridging or ip unumbered?

Thanks again Ravikumar for your quick reply,

Paul Whitby

Hi,

How about using IRB (Integrated Routing and Bridging) / RFC 1483 Bridgining. Check will the following link,

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/827guide_brdg_opts.html

Thanks,

Ravikumar