Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

827 Secondary IP Address

I currently have an 827 connected to a hub then to an ISP cable modem. The primary IP address of the Ethernet interface is set for DHCP from the ISP and it has a secondary IP address for the internal network, that I am doing NAT-on-a-stick for the translation.

The problem is when the ISP changes my IP address the router loses the secondary IP address that is configured for the internal network.

Has anyone seen this?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: 827 Secondary IP Address

May be it could be a bug, try searching the bug tool kit for any known bugs

I've seen this happen and I don't know if this is something that is officially supported.

The reason I say that is, you can't assign a secondary address to an interface until a primary address is assigned (static or DHCP).

So when the router loses the primary address on the interface, the secondary goes away. This makes sense from the above current behavior. It may be a bug but then this type of configuration may not be something supported and thats why the commands go away. Maybe contact your SE and ask for a feature request or contact TAC to get a bug submitted.

Hi,

I have a Cisco 1601-R, and i need to do nat on a stick with DHCP client for ISP and static ip for the hosts inside, i tried to configure as explained on a tac doc, but then the example is with static isp ip address. Question is how do you assign DHCP client to secondary ip address ....

interface ethernet0

ip dhcp client (it doesn't seem to accept the "secondary" tag)

ip address 10.0.1.1

interface loopback0

ip address 10.0.0.2

is this correct ??? how an i configure this ?

if you can email the config to me, pedro.trigueira@hp.com

tks

Pedro,

I don't believe you can have a DHCP secondary address. I e-mailed you the config I'm using.

Views
Helpful
Replies