derneck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'd like to ask you folks a couple of things:

1. Here is the show version output:

2501#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.0(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 05-Feb-96 23:01 by hochan

Image text-base: 0x0301D76C, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE

ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

2501 uptime is 14 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "flash:igs-i-l.110-5", booted via flash

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 4092K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 02999344, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.

2 Serial network interfaces.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

After I upgrade to 16 flash/16 ram, what is the "best" software image that I can load ? I mean, most features, most up to date.. I know there are IOS charts at Cisco web site, but right now they seem confusing to me. I just want to concentrate on studying, without having to worry if I have a particular feature or not.

Can I load any type of image, cause I've seen they come with different extensions or no extensions at all (.zip, .bin, 110-5 etc etc) so does that depend on particular hardware features of my router or...?

And.. how do you guys go about finding IOS ? I'm guessing Ebay..?

Is it possible to download IOS from cisco for learning purposes ?

2. When I connect 2 serial interfaces back-to-back ( one end WIC 1t, other end cisco 2501's serial interface) what is the clock rate I should configure (so that I achieve 2.048 mbps bandwidth) ? My guess is that "clock rate 56000" would achieve the speed of a 56k modem, but I might be wrong here...?

Thanks

John

4 Replies 4

Hello John,

with 16MB DRAM and 16MB Flash (which is the maximum for the 2501) I would recommend the ENTERPRISE/FW PLUS IPSEC 56 feature pack, with IOS version 12.2. It has the most features, and version 12.3 is only available with the IP Plus feature set. Since the 2500 Series is End-of-Life/End-of-Sale, I doubt there will be any further 12.3 releases for this platform.

The exact image name is:

c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d.bin

In order to load the IOS onto your router, the file has to have a .bin extension. Use the exact image name as given in the example above. I guess you find the images in .zip extensions, but that is simply to save space.

I guess Ebay is a good place to start looking for IOS...there is no way to download IOS images from Cisco without being registered.

You are right about the clock rate: 56000 would roughly equalize the speed of a 56K modem.

HTH,

Georg

Thanks a million !

One more question, re: registration that you mentioned..

Let's say I want to register with Cisco as AN INDIVIDUAL, so that I can download IOS-es and other things.

First of all, is that possible..? Second, how much would that cost, and what would be included in "the package" ?

Thanks !

Downloading Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2 requires an active SmartNet Contract.

I pulled this from the Cisco Website. You can find the full info here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/iore/iomjv122/prodlit/1331_pp.htm

You could go ahead and try to download as a registered guest on CCO. The worst thing that would happen is you would not be able to download the IOS.