Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

A port for a "toaster" is err-disabled by bpduguard, do I need to remove spanning-tree portfast?

We have a "toaster" we use to store 5 notebooks to receive updates while not in use. We have port security configured for the port, and spanning-tree portfast is enabled.

We are constantly getting an err-disabled on the port with the reason being bpduguard.

Spanning-tree portfast is the only thing I can think of that needs to change.

Do i need to remove it from that port, and if so why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: A port for a "toaster" is err-disabled by bpduguard, do I ne

First thing I would try is to reconfigure the "toaster" to not use Spanning-Tree. In this scenario it should be considered an end-host and that shouldn't run STP.

5 REPLIES

A port for a "toaster" is err-disabled by bpduguard, do I need t

hi, i have a silly question. what is toaster that you mention anyway?

regards,

It's a hub in my opinion, toaster is the term they use around the office, so I guess I just picked it up thinking it was an industry norm.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It's a hub in my opinion

Couldn't be a hub.  Hubs are, generally, Layer 1 while Spanning-Tree is Layer 2.  

You could try to disable spanning-tree on that port and remove BPDU Guard (all in that order).

VIP Purple

Re: A port for a "toaster" is err-disabled by bpduguard, do I ne

First thing I would try is to reconfigure the "toaster" to not use Spanning-Tree. In this scenario it should be considered an end-host and that shouldn't run STP.

Hey everyone, the issue was resolved by removing spanning tree portfast from the interface.

We didn't need to remove BPDU Guard however.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content