Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

A router to play around on

I have a 2501 router and would like to save the IOS and the configuration files.

I have a connection thur the console port from my com1 port. I have loaded tftp software on my PC but I not really sure where to go from there.

I have never setup a Lan before. I have an extra hub and that's all. I hate to ask such an easy question from experts but I need help. I'm trying to study for the CCNA and I don't won't to screw up something on the router and not be able to use it any more. Thats why I trying to save the IOS.

Any help would be appreciate it.

3 REPLIES

Re: A router to play around on

U can do the following.

Physical: Router Console port connect to PC COM port.

PC : Start ur tftp software.

HyperTerminal : Login to router, go enable mode, do "copy startup tftp".

There r some details steps, but that think u shd be able to figure out.

You need to set up a LAN connection between the two devices in addition to the cosole connection. You will send coomands to the router via the console and data via tftp.

Cisco 2501 has an AUI connector for the ethernet interface, so you need an AUI transceiver. You connect the AUI transceiver to the HUB and the HUB to the PC. Then you make sure the router and the PC are in the same network: for example you assign IP 192.168.0.1 to the router and 192.168.0.2 to the PC with netmask 255.255.255.0 (to assign ip to router is

enable

interface ethernet 0

ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

^z

then you check connectivity by pinging router from PC and viceversa and now you are ready to start copying config and IOS.

Good Luck

Fabio

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you. That worked. I'm new to this stuff and it gets

frustrating at times when I can't figure it out. Thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies