Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

aaa new model (error)

hi,

for ERROR , in my switch i used the cli AAA NEW MODEL.

Now when i try to enter , it tell me username and password.

I don't have any username configured.

what can i do without to reset the switch for to enter in enable mode?

thanks

FC

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: aaa new model (error)

Yes, you got locked out. Resetting the switch is your only solution. Next time, before enabling 'aaa new-model' make sure to have a local username and password.

Note.- the switch won't lose all its configuration (reset = reboot on this case). The only configuration that will be lost, is the one made recently (before a copy run start, of course).

Most people doesnt get it right the first time. So next time you are configuring aaa on any device, make sure you enable local authentication & set username & password.

Minimum aaa config to save u from getting locked while configuring aaa for tacacs:

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login local

username abc password xyz

Anytime u r locked while configuring, u can use the above username & password to gain access.

Please refer this doc for more details if ur interested:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/7.x/configuration/guide/authent.html#wp1221026

Happy Diwali.

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login localacc local enable

// localacc; you can set this to anything you like, but have to define in console 0 and vty x x too or leave it as it is

username username privilege 15 password yourpassword

line cons 0

login authentication localacc

line vty 0 4

login authentication localacc

*** may have to modify enable or secret passwod

Views
Helpful
Replies