cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About 6500 and 7600

xzffly
Level 1
Level 1

Who can tell me what are the real different between Catalyst 6500 and 7600 router ?

thanks!

6 Replies 6

a pity,I have not a cco account,then I could not look at that link.

but I look over 6500 overview and 7600 overview,

i could not find which is different.

is it possible that 76 support osm module,but 6500 not support ???

thanks!

that used to be true. i noticed oc-48 blades in the config section of the 6500. the 6 slot 7600 has a smaller footprint...

It is purely a marketing difference. Chassis is identical.

If you're using OSMs or the Sup 720-3BXL supervisor you've effectively got a 7600.

joseph-chapman
Level 1
Level 1

AFIK, the real difference between a 6500 and a 7600 is 0.

Take a 6500, load 'native' (IOS for the Sup & MSFC) on it, take a labeler and write '7600' and put it on your 6500 and you are done.

You need to think of it more as a 'use' package. Meaning, if you want to buy a high density, high speed 'internet router', you buy a 7600 and you get a box that is loaded with modules and software that is going to work all together. This will also include options for service and support.

If you want to buy a 6500 and make it look/work like a 7600 you will have to do all the configuration management yourself which includes integration and compatability testing.

If you need a box that acts and looks like a 7600 you are, ultimately, going to have a less complicated/stressful life if you just get a 7600.

If you are going to need a switch that will do some WAN routing, you could get a 6500 with a FlexWAN module and make sure you test the configuration.

thank you very much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: