Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

about community-string in "snmp-server host " command

snmp-server host host-addr [traps | informs] [version {1 | 2c | 3 [auth | noauth | priv]}] community-string [udp-port port] [notification-type]

please tell me the function of this community-string,and what difference with community-string in "snmp-server community" command?Thanks.

3 REPLIES

Re: about community-string in "snmp-server host " command

Hi,

AFAIK, the "snmp-server host" command is used to send traps to a SNMP server and community string defined here should be used in this traps.

"snmp-server community" command defines community strings which must be included in SNMP get a set commands coming to the switch.

Usually the community strings used in these config commands are the same. But there might be some reasons for using different ones.

Regards,

Milan

Hi,in my brain trap is only a message telling snmp server a event occured in switch,router,etc. Dos community string be used to authenticate between device and snmp server,is there a community string in snmp server same as community string in "snmp-server host" command ?

Yes, the community string specified in "snmp-server host" command is being sent in the trap message.

But I don't think it's used for authentication - at least I've seen traps coming to HP OV NNM alarm browser with different community string set on Cisco device and NNM server. I think it might be useful for some other purposes - some application might use it for trap identification?

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content