Helpful
Replies

about SNMP traps

andy.juventus
Level 1
Level 1

My config is

snmp-server community XXX RW

snmp-server enable traps snmp(all traps)

snmp-server host X.X.X.X version 2c XXX

But no matter how I enter the conf t mode or shut down an interface , no messages on the host .

Could anybody help me to know why?

{cisco 7206vxr,ios=12.2(8)YW3,the host is where ciscoworks is installed}

6 Replies 6

minie
Level 4
Level 4

Does your trap receiver accept v2c trap? Did you enable "debug snmp packet" or do sniffer capture on the receiver? How about v1 trap?

I don't rule out possible bug, but would like to troubleshoot these easy facts first.

Thank you.

but when I debug snmp packets,only packets for my APNs appear.

v1 trap also can't send anything.

I can add the 7206 to the MWFM,some network Alerts appear like "ping fail".

But in my cases ,I want to test the network Events.

I think if I enter the 'conf t' mode or shut down some interfaces ,it'll display the event.But nothing happens.

Oh ,I've got something.I must use the v2c version,and my config also using v2c.But when I debug snmp header I saw only v1 packets .Do you know why and how to correct it ?

Thank you very much! ^_^

There's no way to enable just v2c on router. In your scenario, you enabled v2c trap to be sent out. However, router will still respond to v1 polling.

How about enable following traps also. Now exit from global config mode, and a config change trap should be sent out.

snmp-server enable traps syslog

snmp-server enable traps config

If still no luck, check "show snmp"

SNMP logging: enabled

Logging to 172.18.123.33.162, 0/10, 2150 sent, 213 dropped. <-- Has the sent ever incremented?

The last resort will be reloading the router. After that, open a TAC case and get a bug filed.

HTH

Do you have connectivity between the router and the host?

Any access-list denying snmp or IP?

Thank you all!

Yes,the connetivity is OK.

My router doesn't support "snmp-server enable traps syslog",Does this mean sending events to host?

If yes,how can I do without updating IOS?

Hi

Did you ever resolve this ?

I have exactly the same issue with a 837 router 12.3(2)XC.

Connectivity to mgmgt station is ok

snmp debug on the router shows snmp packets sent to mgmt station, but nothing ever arrives (used a sniffer on mgmt station too)

brgds

Mats

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: