Views
Helpful
Replies

about the bridge-group in Catalyst2948G-L3

fanxm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,all.

Recently I was working on a project,my custom asked me to setup 70 VLANs on Catalyst2948G-L3. But the problem is there are only 16 bridge-groups on Catalyst2948G-L3,so I have to put all VLAN in one bridge-group.

But it is not safe put so many VLAN in one bridge-group. Why only Catalyst2948G-L3 have so few bridge-group.

fanxm

2 Replies 2

Suryakant Shant
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have 70 different VLANs means 70 different subnets, why you want to create 70 different bridge groups?

The Catalyst 2948G-L3 support 244 VLAN subinterfaces per system and one port support upto max 32 VLAN subinterfaces,

You need to bridge the interfaces only when a single subnet is spanning multiple interfaces. But in your case, you have 70 different VLANs means 70 different subnets. So you should do routing rather than bridging the VLANs.

Let me know this what you are looking for or something different.

Thank you for your information.

I don't want to put so many VLAN in one bridge group.

Computer can communicat with each other by change its ip address,although they are not in same VLAN. It is not safe. Am I right?

When put 70 VLAN in one bridge group, I get a high lost packet percent. I think the reason is too many broadcast packets in one bridge group.

Am I right?

Thank you!