cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access lists for web server and internet

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

if im hosting a server, do I just need an access list allowing port 80 inbound to the web server ip address, also for users browsing the internet, what access list do i need inbound wise ?

6 Replies 6

CSCO10662744_2
Level 1
Level 1

yes, you should only open the ports necessary for your servers. In your case, port 80 inbound.

By default, a Pix allows all outbound traffic. Depending what device you have (whether it's a Pix, switch, or router), the ACL config requirement may be different.

for normal internet users what do I need to let back in ? do pix's use cbac ?

If users are browsing the internet from your internal network, you don't need to allow any special ports inbound. Since you are hosting a web server, you need an access-list entry that reads like this:

access-list 101 permit tcp any interface outside eq 80

You also need a static entry:

static (in, out) tcp [outside-ip-address] 80 [server-ip-address] 80 netmask 255.255.255.255

Hope this helps

so your saying on my pc at home I dont need any access lists, wouldnt this allow people to connect to my pc, surely I would need to just allow established connections ?

That is the access-list. You don't need an outbound access-list, unless you want to block certain traffic from leaving your network. Place that inbound access-list allowing port 80 on the outside interface of your PIX. I believe there's an implied deny ip any any at the end of every access-list. However, you could add in a deny ip any any to the end. Just follow that same syntax for any other ports you may want to allow through. I am assuming that your PC is behind the PIX. The PIX shouldn't block connections that are established by your PC to the internet.

Hope this helps.

Chris

How does the pix know what connections are established ? does the pix use cbac for this ? and can you give me an example of the access list wheres im not hosting any servers ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: