Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing a CW2K Server running on W2K from a Linux box with Netscape

I'm trying to access my CW2K Sever from a Linux client using Netscape, I already enabled Java and JavaScript, set the browser cache and configured the browser to accept all cookies and still every time I try to access it, there is a message "Java Plug-in 1.3.1 is not installed on your machine".

I have to add here that I have been using CW2K from a Windows Professional using IE 6.0 with not problem at all.

Regards

Jose Alonso

10 Replies 10

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Linux is not a supported client for accessing CW2K.

kraby
Level 1
Level 1

As was mentioned Linux is not a supported client. But to add to this, I spent a lot of time trying to see if I could get it to work anyway. Trying different browsers, different versions of Java and so on. Although I could get other things to work I could never get CiscoWorks to come up.

I've found CiscoWorks very, very picky about the Java it uses. Often end up having to completely uninstall Java and let CiscoWorks reinstall it's own version even on supported Windows/IE combinations.

Currently plug-in 1.3.1 is the only supported version with CW2K. Any other versions installed can cause problems.

Thank you.

I've managed to access our Ciscoworks server with my linux workstation running mozilla. I've tried using a number of java versions post-1.3.1 and none of them have worked very well (ie, can log into ciscoworks but anything that pops up will crash the browser). Here are the ingredients I'm using:

- RedHat9 (distro shouldn't matter so much as the GCC compiler you're using; follow the link below for more details)

- mozilla 1.2.1 (Galeon 1.2.7 also works with the same degree of functionality; can't figure out how to get Konqueror to recognize the jre MIME types correctly)

- JRE1.3.1 (NOT jre1.3.1_08 or whatever latest release of the 1.3.1 line; this is critical and will require digging through Sun's jre archive for the specific 1.3.1 release)

Take a look at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html (scroll down for relevant java material) for tips on recommended java versions and installation. For those who compile form source make sure your gcc version is compatible with the appropriate java version. Here's a page from the mozilla documentation page on this: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/whichjava.html. Take heed, the 1.3.1 release is the only one that will work in so far as ciscoworks is concerned.

I've used stock .rpm files throughout with very few problems in the past. Up until a recent system re-installation the above ingredients worked flawlessly. As of a few days ago Campus Manager dies horribly with some very specific java-errors. (I'm still trying to determine where the problem lies but if any java gurus out there are curious I'd be happy to send a copy of the error. ) In the mean time I hope some of you have better luck getting your systems to communicate with Ciscoworks. I'd be happy to offer additional pointers off-list if need be.

I'm using the following:

- Linux Mandrake 9.1

- Netscape 7.02

- Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.1_01-b01 (not supported)

all works fine - and slow - (I can login and use almost all java applets) excepts Campus Manager applications... All campus Manager applications finish loading their java classes then stand up with the message "Connecting to ANI server..." leaving the CPU at 100%..

It's seems like java classes works fine but something it's missing... like the Client Manager Admin (cam). Cause the cam is not provided for linux boxes there's no way to run CM applications...?

It's certainly possible to run CM apps from a linux station, as I've managed to do so. Unfortunately I don't know enough about ciscoworks' implementation of java to explain _why_ it isn't working. Also, I'm not sure what's changed in my system to prevent such functionality now. If I ever manage to get it working I'll post my results.

Hi,kraby

The easiest way to get the correct version of java

1.3.1_01

( That i have found )

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/java-131

Best Regards,

Joseph Melrose

I had the same configuration as c.chaplin with one large problem.

Everything appeared to work just fine. I was able to login and navigate to the security monitor 1.1 of ids mc/ vms2.1 but the Event Viewer will not open. When you click the "Start Event Viewer" it looks as if u have not been able to select the button. It does not seam to invoke or engage the application, after this point!

To add to my findings:

When I select “launch event viewer” the java is meant to open a new explorer window at this point. Mozilla 1.2.1 does not appear to do this. Does any one know if I need to enable this some where in the preferences of mozilla browser and if so where?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: