cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Achieving Redundancy with Cisco Routers and Switches

Takavengwa
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2600 routers connected to two different ISP and in turn these are connected back to our head office to a 3560 series switch.Iam trying to set up the different connections such that if one ISP connection fails the other one takes over immeadiately.I know i could use HSRP for redundancy but the problem iam facing is the two routers are in different subnets, so it may not be possible to use HSRP in this case.I could be wrong but any help will be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

kamlesh.sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

some questions to ask you

1- 3550 is working as L3 or L2

if L3 than you can use static route pointing to two different router.if L2 than use secondary address in ethernet infaces of router and run HSRP but for this you need to match vlan.

2- if intervlan is configured on router's than it will be very easy.

HTH if not write here

Thanks a lot for the reply,the 3550 will be working as a layer 2.I got the point on using secondary address in ethernet intrefaces,but i lost you on the need to match vlans,can you elaborate a bit on that ,sorry to be a pain.Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco