cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACLs on Catalyst Switch

danny_ng
Level 1
Level 1

I need to quote 2 x Catalyst 3550-12T switches for my customer with the ACLs feature. Does the Catalyst 3550-12T support the ACLs for all port ? If yes, does the ACLs still works when one of the (10 x 10/100/1000Base T ports)port was detected only 10Mbps speed. Plese Advise.

2 Replies 2

gwoodyard
Level 1
Level 1

The Catalyst 3550 switch with the enhanced multilayer switch image supports two methods of forwarding traffic between interfaces: routing and fallback bridging. Whenever possible, to maintain high performance, forwarding is done by switch hardware. However, only IP version 4 packets with Ethernet II encapsulation can be routed in hardware. All other types of traffic can be fallback bridged by hardware.

Packets received on a port are forwarded only to ports that belong to the same VLAN as the receiving port. Network devices in different VLANs cannot communicate with one another without a Layer 3 device to route traffic between the VLANs.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/1214ea1/3550scg/swint.htm

Ports need to be assigned to different vlans (different layer 3 subnets) for acls to work.

Is it means all the Catalyst switch (Cat 4000 and 6000 also same)need to configured the access port to routed port first only then able to use acls ? anyone can help ? I'm still new in Catalyst switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: