Active MLS entries with HSRP

billbaker
Level 1
Level 1

Total Active MLS entries = 862

MSFC 10.10.2.252 (Module 15) entries = 835

MSFC 10.10.2.251 (Module 16) entries = 27

------------------

I am looking for an explanation of the output above. I have two MSFCs configured for HSRP in this switch. This switch is a VTP client. I have full HSRP redundancy between this switch and the VTP server switch. In short there are two switches with two MSFCs each and each MSFC can route all intervlan traffic if in active mode. The MSFCs in each switch are identical except for the HSRP requirements for each VLAN interface. Module 15 is primary and module 16 is in standby for the VLANs assigned on the switch. I can reload module 15 and the transition is seamless to the connected users and servers. The output of SHOW STANDBY shows several state changes of VLANs that exist only on this switch as well as for VLANs that exist only on the VTP server switch. The changes of state do not coincide with any manual configuration changes. It is obvious that routing updates are taking place but the only place I can find that would affect this is the trunk between the switches. I would expect to see discards from the output of SHOW MAC on the trunk port if the trunk went down. This would cause the routing update but we would also see the outage while the trunk progressed through the STP states. I am using EIGRP as a routing protocol on the MSFCs.

What is the school of thought when using EIGRP and load-sharing intervlan routing responsibilites between MSFCs? Should the EIGRP default maximum-paths be changed from 4 to 1?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center (http://www.cisco.com/tac) or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: