Views
Helpful
Replies

AD of default route

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I know this question does not make any sense, but i was wondering if there is an Administraive Distance for a Default Route. My guess would be "NO" becoz this is the last route that the router will take. But i am just looking for an answer that i could digest. Thanks!

Regards,

Manoj

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ericunicast
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a link to all AD that Cisco devices support.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/admin_distance.html

Default routes do not have an AD because the router does not need to decide which route by which protocol will be defined as the best path. A default route defines what all packets will be pushed to and typically you will not need a dynamic or static route to help the router decide where to forward the packet.

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer depends upon how the default route was learned.

If the default route was learned via EIGRP, then the AD for such route is 90 (internal EIGRP) or 170 (external EIGRP). Same can be said for other dynamic routing protocols (OSPF, RIP, BGP, ISIS, etc) and static routing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ericunicast
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a link to all AD that Cisco devices support.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/admin_distance.html

Default routes do not have an AD because the router does not need to decide which route by which protocol will be defined as the best path. A default route defines what all packets will be pushed to and typically you will not need a dynamic or static route to help the router decide where to forward the packet.

Hi,

Thnx for your explanations. This has help me clarify my question. Thanks!

Regards,

Manoj

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer depends upon how the default route was learned.

If the default route was learned via EIGRP, then the AD for such route is 90 (internal EIGRP) or 170 (external EIGRP). Same can be said for other dynamic routing protocols (OSPF, RIP, BGP, ISIS, etc) and static routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: