Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 2970 as core switch

Thomas2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am considering a 2970 as the core switch on our single sunbnet network with about 75 total nodes. There is considerable traffic between the servers and we would like to keep that traffic seperated from our workgroup, which on occasion, is overwhelming.

I want to verify that there would not be a problem with this switch interacting with several Dell unmanaged layer2 switches we currently have in place as 'closet' switches distributing data to several different workgroups. Here is the setup I am considering...several main servers and other switches plugged into the 2970...

Catalyst 2970

- server

- server

- server

- dell switch

-workgroup pc

-workgroup pc

-workgroup pc

- dell switch

-workgroup pc

-workgroup pc

Please advise if this would be a workable solution and would eliminate the unwanted traffic on the workgroups.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

I think the 2970 is a layer 2 only switch. The server to server traffic will be somewhat isolated due to the layer 2 functions of the switch (once the switch discovers which port each server is on through MAC learning); however, broadcasts will still be heard by all hosts on the flat layer-2 subnet. If you want to provide a complete isolation between the workstations and servers, you might consider a Cat3550. It has layer-3 functionality. With the 3550 you could put all the server ports in one vlan and all the other ports in another VLAN and let the 3550 route between the two.

-HTH