Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a 3548XL switch to environment running MST Protocol

pmajumder
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have a LAN environment where the spanning-tree mode is MST. This LAN is made of Cisco 6509's and Cisco 4506's - where the design is fully redundant .

I now need to add a Cisco 3548XL to this topology, and this is where the issue arises since the 3548 does not understand MST, and as such I don't want to create any STP issues.

What is the best way to go about implementing this?

Should I create a separate VTP domain and have a trunk connection to the existing LAN?

OR

Should I place it on the same VTP domain and a regular trunk connection?

OR

Should it be a separate LAN, i.e. a routed connection to existing LAN?

OR ?????

Please, any ideas with Pro's and Con's would be very helpful.

Thank you

Pradeep

2 Replies 2

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

You can use PVST+ which can communicate with MST. But please note that, the PVST+ connection from 3548xl switch to the MST region MUST be through 802.1q trunks. Through tunneling concept, PVST+ and MST are interoperable.

Thank you for the feedback. I found out that the only drawback to introducing a PVST+ switch is an increase in the convergence time. I was able to mitigate this by disabling STP on the Cat3548xl, since it did not have any redundant links to the rest of the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: