Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Adding a switch to the stack

I have a new switch that I need to add to my switch stack. From reading some of the posts and technical articles on the site, it seems all I need to do is make sure the IOS version on my new siwtch is the same as the stack. It would be easier if they were the same model (ex. 3750-24 and 3750-24), but since they are the same family just different port configurations I should still be OK.

Is it really this easy to add a switch to the stack? Have I overlooked some configuration step.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES

Re: Adding a switch to the stack

Yes, it is still okay. But note the following:

Hardware Compatibility and SDM Mismatch Mode in Switch Stacks

The Catalyst 3750-12S switch supports desktop and aggregator Switch Database Management (SDM) templates. All other Catalyst 3750 switches support only the desktop SDM templates.

All stack members use the SDM template configured on the stack master. If the stack master is using an aggregator template, only Catalyst 3750-12S switches can be stack members. All other switches attempting to join this switch stack enter SDM-mismatch mode. These switches can join the stack only when the stack master is running a desktop SDM template.

We recommend that your stack master use an aggregator template only if you plan to create a switch stack of Catalyst 3750-12S switches. If you plan to have a switch stack with different Catalyst 3750 switch models, configure the stack master to use one of the desktop templates.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225see/scg/swstack.htm#wp1189523

Please rate helpful posts.

All switches in the stack are 3750-24 and I am adding a 3750-16. I pulled the version from the existing stack and it's at the follwing:

12.1(19)EA1d

All switches in the stack are at this level. The new 3750-16 I want to add is at the following level:

12.2(25)SEB4

So it looks like I have a mismatched set of IOS levels and I either need to upgrade the stack to 12.2 or downgrade the 16 port 3750 to 12.1.

I am under the assumption it would be best to downgrade the 16 port 3750 vs. upgrading my stack (less switches to mess with). However, my reservation with this is I bought the 16 port switch to take advantage of the 10Gbit SFP port. I am concerned the old IOS may not work properly with the SFP module when it comes time to use it.

Yeap, Catalyst 3750G-16TD requires a minimum of Cisco IOS Release 12.2(18)SE.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225seb/ol7189.htm#wp84866

I'm afraid if you want to keep and include the 3750G-16TD in the stack, you will need to upgrade the rest of the stack.

Please rate helpful posts.

OK thanks. Guess I need to download the new IOS and upgrade my stack, one switch at a time.

There is no need to upgrade the switches one at a time. All you need to do is use the archive command and TAR file to the master and the rest will upgrade automatically.

See reference here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#steps

OK thanks. Will let you know how this goes after my vacation. If sounds like a simple process, but nothing in IT is simple.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content