cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new switch

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have an existing Cat 3550-48 EMI switch with users currently plugged in. I have also used one of the GBIC ports.

But now I want to add another GBIC module to it. Can i do this will the Switch is live ( up and runing) or do I have to switch it off first. Will this cause a problem?.

Also, If I can do it while up and running can I add another switch of same model to it while alive. I have configured the second switch for vtp:client and confreg:0 and increased the span tree priority so that the existing one is root.

Can I add this switch while the existing switch is on and running and switch this new one on.?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the GBIC is a hot-swappable, you can insert it while the switch is up and running. You can also add your second switch while the other one is up and running, as long as the revision is 0 and your spanning tree settings are ok, something you have taken care of already.

Check this link for the official Cisco confirmation of the hot-swapability of the GBIC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/modules/ps872/prod_module_installation_guide09186a0080124918.html

HTH,

GP

Thank you very much.

Only setting my spanning tree priority setting to a higher number than the existing priority should be ok ??

Thanks

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

this is not documented anywhere (AFAIK), but my practical experience is:

There should be no problem while inserting a new GBIC to a slot. Just press it gently and DON'T connect the FIBER to the GBIC before putting the GBIC into the slot.

I've noticed a damaged GBIC only once while REMOVING it from the slot with the fiber connected to it - I think the laser light from the other line side could damage it while removing.

Also adding a new switch to the network should be no problem. Just be careful and verify STP - the new switch should not become the root and you should not create an STP loop (you could cause up to 50 seconds network outage with STP breaking the loop). Also check the VTP revision number on the new switch - it should be less than the current one in your network.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: