cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adtran TSU configuration

5sdrexel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I have 2 Cisco's that I can not get the serial ports to come up. One is a 2610 with a Wic-1T interface and the other is a 1751 with a Wic-1T interface. This circuit has been working fine with the 3-com routers hooked up. As soon I plug in the Ciscos, I get serial 1/0 state-up protocol-down. No matter what I do. HDLC is encaps. I've done these a million times, just can't figure this one out. My question is does anyone know that exact configuration that an Adtran TSU needs to be set with ? I.e. - Timing, clock, ect.....I have most of it correct, I just need to know what exactly Cisco's need to bring the circuit up.

thanks a million

9 Replies 9

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

ARe you having a Adtran TSU IQ+ ?

Also are you having a frame connection between them ?

When you connect to smart jack, do you see any ALM lights on the TSU ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Sorry i didnt read that it was HDLC encapsulation.

Get me the model of the TSU,and may be i can give you the settings.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I says it's just an Adtran TSU...Kinda like the 100 but not. I'm wondering if it's a timing thing that the 3Coms do differently than Cisco.

Thanks for any help.......

cwschultz
Level 1
Level 1

All we use is Atran TSU's with Cisco routers and never have any issues. If you are connecting two DTE serial interfaces together via non-telco T1, set one TSU for internal timing and the other for network. If you are using a telco provided T1 then both should be set for network timing.

The clock setting can be found under config, network, clock source in the Adtran TSU.

2610 ------ TSU --------- TSU ---- 1751

(network) (internal)

When the Adtrans are connected to the routers what do the lights on the Adtran look like? All green?

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

The fact that you get the serial port up means that the control leads between the router and the CSU/DSU are probably correct. Check this with 'show interface serial 0/1'. At the bottome of the output you should see all five control leads 'up'. If this is the case, go to the next step. The fact that line protocol is down means that the two routers are not exchanging keepalives properly. Check that both ends have the same encapsulation type and that the keepalives are set the same. If this checks out, go to the next step. Start doing some loopbacks. The best place to start is at the outside of the CSU. Get or make a looping plug and plug it in to the network jack on the CSU. If everything is working correctly, the interface will come up. Verify with 'show interface serial 0/1'. It should show that the line protocol is 'up (looped)'. If not, work your way back toward the router. Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks for everyone's input. The encaps is HDLC on both ends. I've done a ton of these and have never had any issues before. The funny thing is that it works with the 3Com's, therefore, I know the circuits and the TSU are good. I have looped the CSU with a network cable and the protocol still did not go up. The interface went to down and down. Make any sense ? When you plug in the network cable to the loopback jack, it's an automatic loop right ? Is there any other loops I can perform to pinpoint the problem further, or does anyone know of a good link that gets more in depth on the CSU troubleshooting ? Thanks again for all the help.

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

Are both ends 'up' and 'down'? If they are, then the receive at each end is seeing the transmit from the other end. When you did the loopback, if the circuit went to 'down' and 'down' you didn't get a proper loopback. Check your loopback again. My best guess is that you have a clocking issue between the DSU and the router. Did you check the lead states at the bottom of the 'show interface serial 0/1' output. Were all of the leads 'up'?

Both ends are "up and down". The loopback I performed was with a patch cable plugged into the loopback connector on the power cable of the Adtran and the other end went into the network jack of the TSU. Not sure how else to do it. All the lights are green on the TSU and everything looks good. All the leads were up on the "show int s0/1". As far as the clocking, one side is set to Internal and the other is Network. I've tried it several different ways to no avail. How about if I set the TSU to factory defaults ?

If I remember correctly, the network interface is a RJ type interface. If this is the case, create a loopback plug using a RJ plug and wiring from pin 1 to pin 4 and from pin 2 to pin 5. Plug it into the network interface of the CSU. This should bring everything up (s0/1 'up' and 'up looped'). If not look in the direction of the router. Try this at both ends.

The timing I was talking about is the timing between the DCE and the DTE (the DSU and the router). There may not be an option on that particular CSU/DSU so it might be a moot point. Distance between the CSU/DSU and the router could be an issue. If the distance is too great, skewing of the signal could occur. This is usually corrected by inverting the clock signal. DO NOT invert the clock if the distance is short. Check the user manual.