Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Advice on maintaining Catalyst 6500/6000 switches

We have a customer with 50 units of Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. Around 25% are fully populated with modules while the remaining 75% have 4 to 6 modules installed (including Sup Engines). Changes are usually made on the core switches and very seldom on other switches. We have to make sure that all our records are updated, so everytime the customer makes changes, we are gathering logs from all of the switches and compare it with our current records. We also look into some error logs gathered by each switch by looking into the output of 'show test' and 'show log'. What I usually look at for each switch are the output from the following commands:

- show module

- show test

- show log

- show logging buff

As for the configurations, I'm using a text comparison application to check for the changes in the configuration.

Would this method be enough or did I miss some more important command output?

Are there any Cisco docs (best practices white paper) that I can use/follow?

Thanks in advance for any input.

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Advice on maintaining Catalyst 6500/6000 switches

This document talks about best practices for configuring and managing 6000 series switches. See if it is useful for you :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml

566
Views
0
Helpful
1
Replies