Views
Helpful
Replies

Advise collision between release notes and software advisor

yuen-tak.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

When i was trying to find a software version which is suitable for my Cat 6500 with Sup 1A-2GE, I have found that the:

1)release notes for CatOS 8.x mentioned that recommended version is 6.4(21) but when i use software advisor it recommend me to upgrade to 8.1(3)

Does anyone have the slightest clue why there is so drastic differences?

Which one should i refer to then?

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will need to see how much dram you have on that Sup1A . Beware of this caveat.If you have 128 meg of memory and want use GD code then 7.6.15 and above in the 7.X train is GD, 8.X is not GD at this point though that may be coming soon because I think cisco is close to phasing out CATOS.

Supervisor Engine 1: Early versions of the Catalyst 6500 series Supervisor Engine 1 shipped with 64-MB DRAM (currently, new Supervisor Engine 1 modules ship with 128-MB DRAM). Depending on the software release you are running, be aware of these DRAM memory requirements:

•With software releases 7.5(1) and later, 64-MB DRAM may not provide adequate free memory for all configurations. With large, existing configurations using many features, or when enabling new features available in release 7.5 and later, 64-MB DRAM may not be enough. We recommend upgrading to 128-MB DRAM to ensure adequate free memory is available to the system at all times.

•Software release 7.6(4) and later 7.6(x) releases are too large to fit in the 64-MB DRAM that originally shipped on some Supervisor Engine 1 modules. You must upgrade to 128-MB DRAM.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your replies. Yes currently most of my SUP 1A is from the frst batch running on 64MB of DRAM.

But my concern is the process of choosing a proper CATOS. After some analysis, all the major version 6.x, 7.x or 8.x are still being deployed and doesnt mean higher revision 8.x supercede 6.x.

I was in a goosebump coz 6.x,7.x, and 8.x all for SUP2 has the same requirement. All requires 128/32 MB, then what is the validity to choose 8.x compared to 6.x???

The main difference i believe is the no of features n DRAM needed for the software. Back to the topic, the release notes for 8.x http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm

comment on 6.4(21) for SUP1 and SUP2, is this a typo mistake????? Or did the software makers thinks that this version contains enough feature and stability suffice for most deployment??

One things left to questions, is the myth that the highest release like 8.x is more stable (bug fixes or security) compared to 6.x

A higher revision like 8.X is not necessarily more stable just means it has added functionality . You have to read the release notes and see if these added features are something you need or not . In reading your comments you could not run 8.X or even 7.X GD code because you do not have enough DRAM if you only have 64 meg. That being said your best bet is probably running the version 6.4.21 which is GD as long as it has the features you need..

Thanks for your information. I will proceed to close.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: