cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Align-Err, FCS-Err, & Runts All of the sudden with no Hardware Change?

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

All of the sudden we are getting Align-Err, FCS-Err, & Runts on an interface that is hard set to 100 full on both ends. I have never seen error before, nothing changed that I know of... Can any one give some suggestions. I have verified everything is still 100 Full. I know some of these are normal, but they are increasing and no other ports on the switch are getting them... FYI this is a Cat 6509... Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

Hardware goes bad , first I would swap the cable , If errors cease , bad cable if continue to increment then I would connect a different client to the switch port , If errors cease bad Nic If continue to increment move to a new switch port , if errors cease bad sw port.

Another cause is NIC drivers. Have new drives (or new OS) be loaded?

I am seeing these from a Cisco Fast Hub 400. Connected to the Fast hub is a Cisco PIX.

I am also seeing these error on an Exchange Server and an AD server. Nothing has changed on any of these devices. All devices are on the same Switch module, but not the same set of ports two are on 1 and 3 and the other is on 47...

There is no duplex settings I can set on the Fasthub, but speed is set to 100 on both. I have tested with all speed and duplex settings.

Is it possible that the cisco pix or fast hub is causing the errors on the exchange and AD? I also have a file/print server that is NOT getting any error and would be access just as much as the exchange from the pix. Is it also possible that the switch blade has gone bad?

Are all the errors occurring in the same VLAN ? If they are there is a device in that VLAN that is spewing errors on the wire .

Is the Pix hard coded ?

Ok I set the port that the Cisco Fast Hub to 100 half and the errors went away for it. Now I still see errors on my exchange server and my AD box. I am sure I have not seen these before. All errors are in the same Vlan. On these two boxes I see Align-Err and Runts. I know they are set Full 100 on the boxes and the ports are Full 100. Would it be worth swapping cabels? I have NOT reset the module as it would bring down 100% of my servers.

Also I clear counters and they come back so its not errors from inserting the cable...

We've seen these errors frequently in hosting environments with Cisco Catalysts and Windows 2000 servers. The most common causes have been either faulty NICs (align/FSC errors) or Duplex Mismatches. Occasionally the Win2k servers have been known to forget their 'hard set' speed/duplex settings and revert to auto upon reboot, which results in these errors at the port.

I moved one problem box to another module/port in the switch, and it is still getting errors. I’m going to swap cables not to see if that is the issue. I find it hard to believe that two separate boxes would have their network cards go bad all of the sudden…

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco