Views
Helpful
Replies

All Broadcast Incoming Traffic

aafkhami
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two perimeter routers (2500 series) connected to our ISP network via two T1 links. They have identical configuration. In one of them when I check the Serial interface status (sh int s0), it shows almost all incoming traffic as broadcast. Is this normal? Please note that the other one does not show traffic as broadcast even if I forward first one's traffic to go through it (I mean type of traffic is same for both). Also sh int s0 on both routers show same config (as of FR encapsulation, MTU, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Replies 2

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Is it heavy traffic or only a few packets, as this isn't normal. I assume you have an access-list filtering what comes into your network, can you log who is sending it to you (and what it is)? If not, debug for it.

Steve

Hi

in the command sho sho int s0 Cisco count multicast trafic as broadcast, so if you use multimedia application that use multicast the broadcast counter will go up, so don't worry about it.

but you can configure syslog to show this trafic in details.

THX

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: