Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

amber light only on 2924

I've run out of switch ports in an IDF and needed to install some new hardware, so for the time being I've had to bring in a 2924 and attach it to a 3524 via a cross over cable. The light on the 2924 stays amber indefinately after plugging the cable in, even though the light on the 3524 goes green after a few seconds. I reterminated the patch cord, and when that didn't work, made an entirely new one. No change. Then I attached two 3524's the same way and got the same result. The 3524 that had been appearing to 'shake hands' properly stayed amber, and the 'new' 3524 went green. Cycling through the modes on the 2924 indicates that I've got a 100/full connection, though I had bigger fish to fry at the time so I didn't hard code speed/duplex on the switch ports. I'm replacing the 3524/2924 first thing Monday with a 3548, so this isn't an emergency, but I am curious as to why this is. Anybody know?

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This port could be in STP blocking mode and is not forwarding. The following page on CCO should assist you

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc4/2900hig/29overvu.htm#39775

You can do a "sh spanning-tree interface fastEthernet 0/x" to verify this. If it is fowarding, do a "show post" to check for any failures