Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ANI Discovery problem

I seem to have killed Discovery. I went into Campus Manager and deleted all of the devices but now D won't find any of my switches! I have a Cat6500 as my seed and it is the core of my switched network; everything else is a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL. All have the same public/private SNMP community strings and the same Telnet and Enable Secret passwords. My Discovery settings have the 6509 as the seed and the SNMP settings are *.*.*.*:aaaaaaaa::10:2:::bbbbbbbb

Discovery finds the seed device but says that it is unreachable. I've gone to the device and done a "sh cdp neighbor" and can see all the attached devices; I've checked SNMP connectivity from CW2K. I've shut down and restarted the services on my server, yadda, yadda, yadda. One thing I'm curious about - are there restrictions as to the use of special characters (@!~$, etc) in SNMP strings?

OBTW - This is CW2K LMS 1.1 on WinNT 4.0 Server SP5.

5 REPLIES
Blue

Re: ANI Discovery problem

You may want to do a reinitdb to start with a fresh database (Note: using the reinitdb will delete all data in the Campus database which cannot be recovered back). Also refer to: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml can go over the checklist to see if it helps.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I tried a reinitdb. Didn't help. I don't seem to have any of the really obvious problems, that's why I asked about special characters in the community string. I've seen that the CatOS doesn't like @ signs....

Blue

Yes, for CatOS @ is reserver for Community String Indexing:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc6000/wsc6000-communityIndexing.html

So, if you're using @ in your strings for CatOS, try changing it to something else and then do a re-discovery to see if helps.

Well, I had already taken the @ out but still had a tilde (~) in; apparently SNMP doesn't like special characters. I changed to all alphanumerics and things started working again.

We tested and found these characters can be used as community strings in cw2k LMS 2.0 and 2.1 { $ * } /ee

Views
Helpful
Replies