Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

eap

ANI not discovering all switches

We have our seed device set to a 6509 which has 5 Cat4006 connected to it. ANI is only discovering one of those 4006 and I have compared their configs and seen nothing different. I did discover though that the 4 that aren't being discovered have 3524 switches connected off of them and those are being discovered instead. Thus only the hosts connected to the 3524 are showing up on the user tracking table. I did a show cdp neighbor on the 6509 and all 5 4006s showed up. What could be the problem? Thanks,

Paula

8 REPLIES
Blue

Re: ANI not discovering all switches

First, make sure that the version of Campus Manager that you're using supports these devices/modules for discovery:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/camp_mgr/sup_dev/index.htm

Then http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml can be looked at to troubleshoot further.

eap

Thanks for your reply,

I have Campus Manager 3.2 and have applied the IDU patches needed. It obviously supports the 4006 or the 1 currently being discovered would not be known. The link you gave I had already read previous to my first post checking both snmp community strings and cdp enabled. That all seems fine. Any other ideas? I am assuming it has something to do with chaining other switches off the 4006 switch, but not sure why. Your help would be most appreciated.

Paula

Blue

If you add all 5 Cat4006 as seed devices instead of just one which is being discovered and then re-run the discovery again, does that make any difference?

eap

I only have the 6509 as a seed device. All 5 are directly connected to it via fiber links, but only one is discovered by it's ip address. The others are seemingly skipped and only the 3524 chained to the 4006's show up. Should I add the 4000s as seed devices?

Blue

Yes, add the missing Ca4K as the seed device to see if they are discovered or not. That may help narrow down the issue.

eap

Nothing new was discovered after adding the 4 additional seed devices--the Ca4ks.

Blue

OK, even if by adding these Cat4K as Seed, Campus is not discovering them, then it tells that there could be a possible SNMP connectivity probelm beteen Campus and these switches, thereby not discovering them at all. If you want you can use the CW2K JET Packet Capture Tool from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cosi-nms to capture the traffic to see where it's failing.

eap

Okay thank you. I will try that tool but I think I am not making myself clear. It is discovering the users on the 4000s, however they are showing up under the ips of the 3524 switches "tied in" to the 4000s on one port, rather than under their individual ports on the 4000. So wouldn't this mean that discovery sees them but is somehow getting confused with a switch being connected to one of its ethernet ports?

Views
Helpful
Replies