Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Another Newbie Question --- What Hardware do I need?

This is a duplicate of a thread I posted on the "routers" board. Perhaps someone here can assist me. *smile*

I am a "non-techical network newbie" trying to design a home network which must connect to work via VPN with two machines.

1. I have 4 IP numbers from Sprint Broadband Direct (served to me from the SBBD modem via DHCP)

2. I have 2 Mac G4s, 1 Win2K, an 802.11b base station (AirPort which acts as DHCP router), and an HP6127 ethernet printer.

3. The 2 Macs need to connect (via Cisco client software) to VPN tunnels which permit ONE connection per IP number

My office IT folk tell me I need to get a router which permits "multiple static IP's" to pass through, yet still keep the machines behind the router.

--- *grin* --- now the tough part ---

I would like to be able to do this for UNDER $1,000 for any routers/switches/software.

Can anyone tell me if Cisco SOHO91 would work? Or for that matter ANY router that will do what I need for less than $1,000.

Thanks for your assistance!

Palsgraf948

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Another Newbie Question --- What Hardware do I need?

You must consider buying one of the 700 / 800 Series routers based on the link type you have with your service provider, which should be well within your budget. To find out the exact prices and solution for your network, you can contact your nearest Cisco Reseller/Partner. You can easily locate them at the following URL.

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/jsp/partner_locator.jsp

Re: Another Newbie Question --- What Hardware do I need?

check to see if the AIrpoint does nat. if it does then you might not even need another router

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content