Helpful
Replies

another question about ip split-horizon eigrp

libincisco
Level 1
Level 1

following notes was copied from cisco ios document

----------------

For networks that include links over X.25 packet-switched networks (PSNs), you can use the neighbor router configuration command to defeat the split horizon feature.

What does it mean? and I did not find neighbor command in eigrp commands. how does it work?

8 Replies 8

bbranch
Level 3
Level 3

The EIGRP Neighbor command was introduced in 10.0 but for some reason this command appears to be missing in Command Ref's upto and including 12.2, but it is documented in 12.3:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/iprrp_r/ip2_n1g.htm#1036467

how to use the eigrp "neighbor" command to defeat the split-horizon feature. how does it work?

I went through and checked the code, and this isn't true for EIGRP. This sentence is actually in the IGRP section of the documentation, which is a completely different protocol.

:-)

Russ.W

Then the doc needs to be changed--I'll put in a request to the documentation people. I've rechecked the code, and asked one of the EIGRP coders, and using the neighbor command under EIGRP definitely won't turn off EIGRP split horizon, no matter what type of interface it is.

Russ.W

ok. If you have some message, pls inform me. thank you.

I've talked to the CCO folks, and they are going to change the doc.

Russ.W

You have significantly changed the question here! Your original question was about using the neighbor command to defeat split horizon. The answer to that question is that EIGRP does not support the neighbor command.

Now you are posing a different question about ip split-horizon eigrp. This command is certainly valid and IS supported in EIGRP. I have used it on a couple of occassions. The normal behavior of EIGRP is to not advertise a route out the interface on which it was learned. When you configure this command, EIGRP WILL advertise out an interface routes that were learned on that interface.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: