cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

any known linux/catalyst problems

jhoway
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a hell of a time connecting a server running linux RH 7.1 to a Catalyst 3500XL. Are there any known issues? Weeks of research has turned up nothing.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

juan-santamaria
Level 1
Level 1

if you need connecting for console

use kermit

set line /dev/ttyS0

set speed 9600

set carri off

connect

if you want use syslog server in the inet directory you debit modify the script of syslog an put -r for remote access.

I haven't gotten that far. I can't network with the 3500XL switch--at all. Other switches (like a cheap LinkSys 10/100) work fine, but I can't talk to the Cisco. It does pick up my MAC address, but pinging through the switch fails. I've tried both an eepro100 NIC and a PCInet onboard adapter. It appears as if there's an ARP problem. and ideas??

Try to set the 3500 port your on to the same speed/duplex setting that your Linksys hub port is set to. Perhaps it's a duplex mismatch.

I've tried every combination of speed/duplex mode possible. The LinkSys was set to autonegotiate as is the Cisco switch port, currently. I've also tried them both at 100-FD. Nothing. Some other weird behavior includes:

I can monitor tcp traffic on my box with the tcpdump utility

I can sometimes recognize remote MAC addresses in the ARP cache

??? baffled.

Check to see that the switch is connected to the correct subnet on the uplink...If the 3500 and its' ports are all on VLAN 1, make sure the uplink port is configured for the correct VLAN. If you have configured VLAN interfaces with IP addresses other than VLAN 1, make sure the management VLAN is trunked to the backbone.

well, the switch and LAN have been up and running for a couple years. Everything is on VLAN 7. I've also tried setting spanning tree to portfast as some folks had success there with similar problems. It's acting like nothing is ARPing back to the Linux server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: