cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any one used Multilink PPP on 2 x DS3's?

arapoport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to get this multilink PPP to work correctly, it DOES comes up with the aggregate bandwith of 88420 but it's having a hard time going over 45-50M.

It looks like the CPU peaks when the link gets over 45M, this is a 7206, NPE 150 with a PA-2DS3 and a PA-2FE-TX.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

I assume CEF is enabled? MLPPP can be somewhat of a CPU hog on certain platforms / IOS versions. You may be better off with per-packet CEF.

THANK YOU.

okay, so per interface (each serial int) enable

ip load-sharing per-packet

and

ip cef load-sharing algorithm tunnel 1

(since there is only 2 x DS3 and no more paths) ???

Would you recommend anything else, or a different setup?

I don't think you need the load-sharing algorithm command, but you can experiment to see if one algorithm gives better results than the others.

I should note that per-packet CEF load sharing essentially requires that the links have equal latencies. If latency varies, packets can arrive at the remote end out-of-order, which dramatically reduces TCP performance. In this case, per-flow CEF load sharing is a better bet, though it tends to not distribute load as well as per-packet CEF.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: