Views
Helpful
Replies

Any possibility of upgrading 2950 switch IOS

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I would like to know if possible to upgrade my cisco 2950 switch IOS from Standard to Enhanced Image, As I notice from some one that it comes standard box with no uograde capabilities.

Is that means as hardware upgrade or IOS Image Upgrade?

Ankur : u have helped me before but I am still confused.

thanks,

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Mate,

I'm afraid you cannot upgrade the standard image on a 2950 switch to an enhanced image. Once you get a 2950 with standard software, you are locked into using standard software.

Being fixed-configuration switches, you also cannot install new modules, if that is what you mean by a hardware upgrade. There are some variants of the 2950 switches that take GBIC modules, though.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

u deserve the full rate, I have been monitoring ur comments in cisco discussion forums, and most of it if not all is so helpfull, frankly, u are open minded and have good knowledge of Networking, wish u very hopefull future. pls keep going & assist who needs some of ur knowledge.

thanks,

The ability to run either the SI or EI features on the 2950 is hardware dependant. If you have a look at the release notes for the latest IOS there is a table about 2 pages in detailing the various 2950's available and whether they run the SI or EI features.

The actual IOS software image is the same for both the EI & SI switches but only the EI features are available on the platforms that support it.

The 2950-12, 2950-24, 2950SX-24, 2950SX-48-SI and 2950T-48-SI only have the SI features, it looks like all the others run the EI.

HTH

Andy

Hi Andrew,

thanks your message is so helpfull,

thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: