Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AppleTalk Packets unstable at Cisco 2950

In the past, i used old 4000 routers for IP routing. One IP subnet had some apple (Mac) machines connected by hubs. These MAC machines had to be seen by other MAC machines via appletalk choose. Besides, these machines had to browse the internet.

Recently, i upgrade the whole network with 6500 L3 switches and 2950 floor switches. After the upgrade, these MAC machines can still access the internet. So i think TCP/IP protocol is OK and VLAN port assignment is correct. However, some MAC machines can not see other MAC machines via the appletalk chooser. It is unstable.

I have already enabled portfast at all appletalk nodes. Also, there is only one VLAN for appletalk and this VLAN does not have other IP hosts. There is no need for appletalk routing at 6500. All nodes at the appletalk uses static IP (no DHCP).

i wonder if there is any bug on 2950 when passing appletalk broadcast packet.

Also, there are about 10 VLANS for the whole network. And all 2950 switches are connected to 6500 via Dot1q Trunk. Is there any problem on this ?? Do i need to dedicate one physical switch for appletalk hosts and connect this switch to 6500 via access link (instead of Dot1q trunk). Please help.

My 2950 is using the flash c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2a.bin.

Thanks

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: AppleTalk Packets unstable at Cisco 2950

Turn of trunk negotiation by using the "switchport mode access" at the interface level. Also try upgrading to 12.1.9.EA1d

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content