Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Are this OSPF LSA relate to each other ???

OSPF neighbor relationships progress

1) Down State

2) Init State

OSPF routers send Type 1 (hello)

3) Two-Way State

4) ExStart State (Type 2)

5) Exchange State

6) Loading State (type 3)

7) Full Adjacency

ALSO,

OSPF Area Types also use LSA exchange between routers or area

Type 1 – generate by each router for each area it belongs to, flood only within particular area, describe the states of the router’s link to the area.

Type 2 – generate by DR in multi-access networks, flood only within the area that contain the network, describe the set of routes attched to a particular network.

Type 3 – Orgin by ABR, flood throughout the backbone area to other ABRs, describe the links between ABR and the internal routes of a local area.

Type 4 – Orgin by ABR, flood throughout the backbone area to other ABRs, describe routes to ASBRs.

Type 5 – Orgin by ASBR, describe the routes to destinations external to the AS, flood throughout an OSPF AS.

The questions are this LSA relate to each other or it just happen like this ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are this OSPF LSA relate to each other ???

Hi Friend,

There is no relation between the type of LSA (1,2,3,4,5,7) exchanged between the routers within an area and between the areas to exchange the link state information and the packets which are used to form an ospf neigh and adjancy relationship.

Taking an example LSA 5 which is used to carry the external route information into an area is not at all related to type 5 LSA which you are talking for formaing a naighbor relationship.

I think the neighbor relationship is formed using hello packet, dd packet and LSU and LSR packets which you may name as type of LSA's. but these are not at all related to LSA's which are used to carry route information between the areas and within areas.

HTH

Ankur

3 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what your question is here. All of the LSAs serve to describe a specific portion of the link-state database of an OSPF network. Therefore, they are related to each other in this way....

Paresh

Form what I know:

OSPF establish neighbor relationship use 5 kind of LSA which is (Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, Type 4, and type 5).

Then, there is another set of LSA OSPF use between OSPF routers and OSPF area. They are Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, Type 4, type 5, type 7.

The questions is are these Type of LSA relate to each other ?

Thanks.

Hi Friend,

There is no relation between the type of LSA (1,2,3,4,5,7) exchanged between the routers within an area and between the areas to exchange the link state information and the packets which are used to form an ospf neigh and adjancy relationship.

Taking an example LSA 5 which is used to carry the external route information into an area is not at all related to type 5 LSA which you are talking for formaing a naighbor relationship.

I think the neighbor relationship is formed using hello packet, dd packet and LSU and LSR packets which you may name as type of LSA's. but these are not at all related to LSA's which are used to carry route information between the areas and within areas.

HTH

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content