Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ARP Entry not seen in Backup Router

Hi,

we have two routers,one primary and a secondary configured with HSRP.HSRP is working fine.

But when we see the arp entry in these routers,for some given IPs, the arp entry is listed in primary router but not in the secondary router.

Also,Cam Entries can be seen in the switch, but arp entry can't be seen in MSFC (ie Secondary Router).

Can anyone address this issue??

Regards,

Nirmal.

4 REPLIES

Re: ARP Entry not seen in Backup Router

Nirmal,

By default, ARP entries age out of the ARP cache after certain period of time (i believe it's 4 hrs). Since the standby HSRP device wouldn't be forwarding any traffic to the hosts this behavior is normal. Should the standby HSRP router become the active one and then it would arp and resolve the IP to MAC address.

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.But arp is happening for most of the IPs in the subnet in the backup router and its not happening only for some IPs.

Nirmal.

hi,

we have configured HSRP for the multiple VLANs that are configured in both the routers.

we are getting the arp entry for the rest of the VLANs in both the routers.

But somehow its not happening for a specific VLAN.

Nirmal.

HI

As u have said that u have configured multiple vlans i assume that u are having one router active for a group vlans and other active with other group of vlan i assume u have dome this for load balancing.so the router which is active for a group of vlans will have arp entries from that particular vlans.

Thanks

Mahmood

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content