cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

ARP issue

Hi,

I have assigned same ip address to two ethernet interfaces of cisco 7200 router using the backup interface command.One is active and other is Standby.When Active goes down,Standby link does not come up automatically.am facing a problem with ARP. when i delete the ARP in PC am able to ping the router.

Can anyone help me out to solve this problem.

tselvan

5 REPLIES

Re: ARP issue

A router never allows two of its own interfaces to have the same ip address (or the same subnet) unless, one of the interfaces is down. (in your case, due to backup command, one of the interfaces was in standby mode, and thats why it first of all took the ip address. This setup should be avoided.

As Shanky states: This setup should be avoided. Try to implement HSRP. That is the preferred solution for interface-redundancy.

Community Member

Hi,

Set the MAC Address manually on backup interface to be same as Active interface.

Regards,

Community Member

We use a BVI interface with 'bridge 1 protocol ieee' and 'bridge 1 route ip' on the interface. That gives us 2 connections to the router with the one IP address.

Community Member

Hi Peter

Can you be kind enough to give me the config that you've mentioned here? I'm interested in configuring my spare interface on the 3660 to provide back up in case the primary ineterface goes down. Thanks in advance. If possible please emial to vincentn@mediamonitors.com.au

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content