cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AS 5300 with MICA modem

duc-vu
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to understand this box. Do users dial into this box via modem ports or T1-Pri port on the same box ? thanks for all help.

Duc Vu

7 Replies 7

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..AS5300 can be used for to terminate the ISDN calls as well as modem calls on the same T1/PRI line..Here is the sample config for you

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/5300.html

Thank you very much, Patel.

Duc Vu

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duc, all calls be it isdn or modem come into this box through the T1 (PRI) ports. If a call is modem call, it terminates on internal MICA modems while if its isdn, it terminates on hdlc resources. For more info, you will find this handy :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_serv/5300/sw_conf/sw_conf/index.htm

~Zulfi

Hi Zulfi,

Thank you for replying. How're you ? so if calls can come in on T1-Pri then why do we need modem ports ?

Duc

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duc, just fine. How are you doing? Long time no see.

As far as your question is concerned, T1 is just the channel for incoming calls.

Now for every incoming call you need resources inside the box to terminate those

calls. So for an incoming modem call, you need some appropriate resource which is internal modems to terminate the call. While for incoming isdn calls, you need some other resources which are called HDLC resources (note that HDLC resources are not physical resources as internal modems are).

~Zulfi

Zulfi,

Thank you for your patience to help me out. So the MICA modem ports on the As5300 are not the physical modems where we can plug in the RJ11/21 from telco into them. Those are internal resources only. What I can see from Cisco docs but not clearly make me think that they are modem ports where we can connect the phone lines. Users dial in from PSTN via T1-Pri and terminate on modem ports if they are calling from outside Async lines. Hope that I'm getting it right. Thanks again, good old friend.

Duc Vu

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have it correct now Duc. So MICAs are internal modems and physical resources

but you can not plug in phone lines directly to them. All the incoming calls are routed to them over the T1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: