cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT – NETWORK ADMISSIONS CONTROL 2 (NAC2)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Reza Malekzadeh about Network Admission Control (NAC) which uses the network infrastructure to enforce security policy compliance on all devices seeking to access network computing resources. Reza Malekzadeh is a product marketing manager for the Security Technology Group at Cisco Systems, focused on the Network Admission Control (NAC) initiative. Prior to joining Cisco, Mr. Malekzadeh was the co-founder of Twingo Systems, a provider of secure desktop solutions for untrusted computers. Twingo Systems was acquired by Cisco in 2004.

Remember to use the rating system to let Reza know if you have received an adequate response.

Reza might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 9, 2005. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

34 Replies 34

Hi,

I have been working on NAC for the last two months.The design phase is already complete.I know I'm testing me configuration.I used the following ressources.

www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/ guest/netsol/ns466/c654/cdccont_0900aecd80217e26.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns617/networking_solutions_white_paper0900aecd80234ef4.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5923/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008023fa9e.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/products_user_guide_book09186a00802335e2.html

Ok! I hope it will help. Good luck!

Hello,

CTA can be dowloiaded from the Cisco website at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cta

Also, we are in the process of finishing up a NAC Deployment guide that will go into the details of configurations and deployment. It should be available in a few weeks on our site at http://www.cisco.com/go/nac.

regards

reza

stan_bianou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm working on NAC I,and I plan to implement NAC II right after the NAC I will end.But I have two concerns.

1. I had configured ACS v 3.3 on the windows 2000 server.The ACS should check the Cisco secure database or a Windows database(active directory) to authenticate users.I had enable PEAP and EAP-TLS on the ACS, with a self signed certificate. The certificate had been succesfully import on the client (Windows XP pro SP2) while installing Cisco Trust Agent v 1.0.55. I had also enable machine authentication with PEAP and EAP-TLS. But I still have the following error:"Auth type not supported by External DB". I would like to have some suggestion to fix that problem.I had attached the failled attemps log that I had.

2. I would like to know how the NAC I and NAC II fit toghter.Which directive I can follow to implement the NAC II when the NAC I is already working.

Regards.

Hello,

It appears that you might be having a separate issue from NAC with this error message. With NAC phase one, any user and/or machine authentication will be a completely separate operation from the actual NACing of the client. It appears that you have ACS set up for doing machine/user auth with certificates (EAP-TLS) and that your AD infrastructure does not do certs, but only AD credentials (EAP-MSCHAPv2). AD credentials are those long crypto numbers AD assigns to machines and users when they become members of an AD domain. This is probably an ACS config issue but not NAC related... I think.

For the second question, NAC2 expands the list of supported Network Access Devices but implementing NAC into our Catalyst Switches and Wireless Solutions. Nac2 can tie into your 802.1x deployment if you have one and be able to do NAC at Layer 2 on the Switch ports and Wireless APs.

regards

reza

It have verified that AD support EAP-TLS authentication.

Does it make sens to try to import the certificate that is installed on the ACS to the domain controller; assuming that EAP-TLS required the installation of the same certificete on the each of the machines that are involved in the authentication process.

Regards,

Stan.

Yes, you can try that. If that fails, please try to contact your Cisco sales engineer to put you in touch with an ACS specific guru. thanks.

reza

Rutger Blom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are busy implementating NAC phase two. Does this work with ACS 3.3 or do we need to upgrade to 4? We are using 802.1x wired client with CTA 2.0 to make things work with 2950 switches. It seems however that the CTA is not sending any data to our ACS. If an upgrade on ACS is needed I understand this otherwise what could be the problem? We level 15 logging on the CTA 2.0. The logfiles don't say much to me. The only error that I see now and then is:

"Failed to open Registry Key, error code 13"

Kind regards,

Rutger

Yes, for NAC 2, you will need to upgrade to ACS 4.0.

regards

reza

t.reisinger
Level 1
Level 1

- Is there also an ACS 4.0 (final,eval?) download already available?

- Where can I find the TrendMicro AVP file for the ACS 4.0? At the TrendMicro website i can't find it. I use the following file (got it from the BETA ACS 4.0 documentation). The values dosen't appear at the ACS server logfile :(. On the new CTA 2.0.30 i can see in the log that the information is sent to the ACS.

[attr#0]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00001

attribute-name=Application-Posture-Token

attribute-profile=out

attribute-type=unsigned integer

[attr#1]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00002

attribute-name=System-Posture-Token

attribute-profile=out

[attr#2]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00003

attribute-name=Software-Name

attribute-profile=in out

attribute-type=string

[attr#3]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00004

attribute-name=Software-ID

attribute-profile=in out

[attr#4]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00005

attribute-name=Software-Version

attribute-profile=in out

attribute-type=version

[attr#5]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00006

attribute-name=Scan-Engine-Version

attribute-profile=in out

attribute-type=version

[attr#6]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00007

attribute-name=Dat-Version

attribute-profile=in out

attribute-type=version

[attr#7]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00008

attribute-name=Dat-Date

attribute-profile=in out

attribute-type=date

[attr#8]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00009

attribute-name=Protection-Enabled

attribute-profile=in out

[attr#9]

vendor-id=6101

vendor-name=Trend

application-id=3

application-name=AV

attribute-id=00010

attribute-name=Action

attribute-profile=out

attribute-type=string

ACS 4.0 is shipping as of yesterday. The full version is available through Cisco Sales. It is not yet available in eval version but should be posted on our website soon.

For the Trend Micro file, you will need to contact Trend Micro directly.

regards

reza

rrodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN 3005 concentrator running 4.7 code with ACS 4.0 as the RADIUS server, performing NAC with a test client running CTA 2.0 and Cisco VPN client 4.7. I had this working under ACS 3.3/CTA1.0 but with the new Network Access Profiles in ACS 4.0 I am having some difficulty with the Downloadable ACLs. I am using a group/password (preshared key) to connect to the IPSec session, followed by Windows Database authentication. This is working, as well as the Posture Validation which is checking Cisco:PA:PA-Version > 2.0.0.0. What I am encountering is that the Windows authentication occurs seperately from the Posture Validation, so I am essentially running through the Network Access Profiles twice, and being assigned a different Downloadable ACL each time. The effect is that I can not apply an ACL to a Group without it being overwritten by the ACL assigned to the Posture event. Is there a way to merge the events so that I can assign the ACL by a combination of Group and SPT?

Hello,

In theory, the NAC ACL will override the user ACL. The folks in the VPN3K team indicated that this has been the behavior since the introduction of the 4.7 code. I think you are hitting a bug that we would need to try to reproduce. Can you please open a case with Cisco TAC?

regards

reza

f-gauthier
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning Reza Malekzadeh,

I have a very simple question. What would you recommand or what is todays most secure way of accessing devices such as routers, switches to be able to manage them ?

This by using telnet ? SSH ? TACAS ?

SNMP with Ciscoworks, is safe ? Should we be using something else than SNMP for management through CiscoWorks ?

Many thansk for your quick response.

Tricky question :) - It will depend on your setup and how much you trust the network to your access device. Obviously, SSH is much prefered over Telnet. I believe SNMP with CiscoWorks is safe.

hope this helps.

reza

Hi,

Just encountered this problem, when tried to replicated GUEST server, we received following messages:

get the message "An error
occured while configuring replication"

the application logs shows the following
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    +-------------------------------------
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    twin 1.2 starting up...
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     log mode is 0
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     local port=5432
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     local database=gapdb
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     log_table_max_size=1000
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     sleeptime=1000
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG     use_timestamps=f
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    done
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    local config status is 0
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT FATAL  application has not yet configured twin
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    shutting down...
2010-08-03 07:51:12 CDT LOG    shutdown complete

also I could not find what the twin is and how to config it.

Any help will be appreciated

- Angela Yan