Views
Helpful
Replies

assigning mls-id to mls-se on a cos 6509 switch

o.oresotu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to implement mls on a cos-based 6509 switch to muli-layer switch btw 8 vlan switches. I have successful place all vlan interfaces in the vtp-domain with the switch and enable mls globally and on all interface but the MLS-SE is not recognizing the MLS-RP address. I need the command to use on the COS 6509 switch to assign it an ID.

Pls. send me a mail on seg_oresotu@hotmail.com

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MLS or CEF based MLS is enabled by default and no configuration is needed. You'll need to configure MLS-RP only if you have a CAT5500 with NFFC which would be an External MLS-SP. The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/35.html

Actually, it was disabled when i issued the "no ip routing" command and the following are the configuration of my CaOS 6509 switch:

i)Supervisor engine 2

ii)Policy Feature Card 2

iii)MSFC2 daughter Card

iv) SFM - 128

Do you have any further suggestion as to how to enable it fully.

Thanks.

Sup2/MSFC2 does CEF based MLS and cannot be disabled

How can i verify that CEF is actually working cos believe that not all packet are being switched. Furthermore, i would appreciate if you can give me your phone number so that i can discuss with you over the phone.

Does it hurt anything when you issue a "no ip cef" or a "no ip mroute-cache"? I have 6509's (sup2/msfc2) and it appears that a lot of packets are processor switched instead of cef switched.

It drives up cpu utilization, and increases latency and jitter through your network. Not something I'd do...

:-)

Russ.W

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: