Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Authentication Question

Hi all,

For dial up users to the Cisco router, I can use local authentication command "username xxx password xxx", TACACS+, RADIUS. Are there other methods?

There are only for 8 dial up users, I would think local authentication will be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Is there something I can utilize on default Win2k machine as TACACS+ or RADIUS?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY

Re: Authentication Question

You dont really need an AAA server in this case, since the number of users is less. For 8 users, it would be better to use a local DB for auth. if you need accounting, then you ll need an AAA server. You can download freeware tacacs+ servers and get the job done.

There is a freeware tacacs+ code that comes from Cisco, you can run it on a Unix server. You ll also need a C compiler such as gcc. You can download this file from Cisco via ftp.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk642/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094ea6.shtml

Once you configure the local username/passwords, Make sure you have "service password-encryption" enabled.

Views
Helpful
Replies