cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Backup on running-config

bardak5328
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to automate a backup process where the router or switch will send the running config to an external tftp server at a specified time every week? Or do I need to create create a batch process on a tftp server to get the configs from each router that I specify.

5 Replies 5

iswift
Level 1
Level 1

When you say 'external' tftp server do you mean not a CiscoWorks 2000 server.

If you just mean any tftp server, you can use the RME package in Cisco Works LMS.

It contains a tftp server as one of it's core processes, and also a syslog server/analysis tool. RME contains a config maintenance utility, which will listen to syslog config change messages and go and retrieve the latest config, even if it more or less frequent than a weekly interval.

I talked to one of the guys here that implemented Cisco Works 2000 and he said a copy of the config is updated in Cisco Works when ever a change is made to any router or switch. I was wondering how to set this up with out Cisco works 2000 incase that box ever crashes. I want to have all the configs backed up on another file server seperate of CW2K.

You can create "time-of-day" Qos policies. Perhaps you might be able to initiate tftp that way:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/time_qos.html

dkorell
Level 1
Level 1

Check out Kiwi CatTools. It runs on a PC/Server and can go out and save all your configs at once. If you register, then you can schedule the backups. It will also keep a directory of current configs and an archived directory. It's the best program I've found out there (without spening the Cisco bucks).

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can use CLI SNMP scripts for this as well. There are a few tech tips with examples at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/index.html on how to do this for both routers and cat switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: