Views
Helpful
Replies

Automated running-config backups?

karl.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does any one know if it possible to get the router to automatically download a copy of its running-config to a tftp server, perhaps on a weekly basis.

It would be handy if this is possible.

Thanks all.

6 Replies 6

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Ciscoworks resource manager essentials.

james.feger
Level 1
Level 1

You can do this via SNMP, and I find it to be free, and easy. I dont have the OID in front of me, but you do a snmpset command with the OID string. You can then set this up to run every week. Go to google.com and do a search, you will find several sites. You will need to have a Read Write community string enabled on the router to do it.

Hi all

Does anyone have a web page for this. Im struggle to find anything. I dont have ciscoworks.

Thanks all

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/11.html

1. In the server /tftpboot directory, touch router-confg the config file, then chmod 777 router-confg the config file.

2. From the management station command line, enter the following:

/usr/OV/bin/snmpset -c rw-string #.#.#.# .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.$.$.$.$ octetstring router-confg

where:

w-string is the router read-write SNMP community string (as in snmp-server community private RW

#.#.#.# is the IP address (or DNS name) of the router

$.$.$.$ is the IP address of the TFTP server where the target router-confg file resides in the /tftpboot directory

router-confg is the name of the (empty) file in the /tftpboot directory

Oops....you don't need to use /usr/OV/bin as the path, you would use whatever your path to snmpset on the box is. Also, you can do this on a windows platform, using the same OID, but I have not tried it.

Thanks James

Have a nice day!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: