Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Automated running-config backups?

Hi all,

Does any one know if it possible to get the router to automatically download a copy of its running-config to a tftp server, perhaps on a weekly basis.

It would be handy if this is possible.

Thanks all.

6 REPLIES

Re: Automated running-config backups?

Ciscoworks resource manager essentials.

You can do this via SNMP, and I find it to be free, and easy. I dont have the OID in front of me, but you do a snmpset command with the OID string. You can then set this up to run every week. Go to google.com and do a search, you will find several sites. You will need to have a Read Write community string enabled on the router to do it.

Hi all

Does anyone have a web page for this. Im struggle to find anything. I dont have ciscoworks.

Thanks all

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/11.html

1. In the server /tftpboot directory, touch router-confg the config file, then chmod 777 router-confg the config file.

2. From the management station command line, enter the following:

/usr/OV/bin/snmpset -c rw-string #.#.#.# .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.$.$.$.$ octetstring router-confg

where:

w-string is the router read-write SNMP community string (as in snmp-server community private RW

#.#.#.# is the IP address (or DNS name) of the router

$.$.$.$ is the IP address of the TFTP server where the target router-confg file resides in the /tftpboot directory

router-confg is the name of the (empty) file in the /tftpboot directory

Oops....you don't need to use /usr/OV/bin as the path, you would use whatever your path to snmpset on the box is. Also, you can do this on a windows platform, using the same OID, but I have not tried it.

Thanks James

Have a nice day!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content