Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Automatically propogate VLAN interface info

I am still pretty new to the networking infrastructure arena and need a little assistance. I am trunking a new Cat65xx w/3 Cat55xx. I want the new Cat65xx to run in server mode and have the rest run in client mode. Will theVLAN interface info AUTOMATICALLY propogate to the new Cat65xx or can I at least export/import it?

3 REPLIES

Re: Automatically propogate VLAN interface info

Start the 6500 out in VTP client mode. When the vlan information has propagated, then change the 6500 to server mode. This will capture the vlan information. If you do a show config, you can see that the vlan info is not present in client mode, but is present in server mode

/Chris, UCLA

Well I know if I start in VTP client mode that it will learn all routes and so forth but what I'd like to know is, is there some way to have the Cat65xx have its ports auto-configure.

It sounds like you are asking about something called dynamic VLANs. You would have to establish a data base of MAC address and the VLAN they should be assigned to. It's a LOT of work up front. The question is, do your devices move around alot? If not, then it's not worth the hassle of setting up dynamic VLANs. Just set the VLAN and not worry about it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content