Views
Helpful
Replies

Automating Logins

dyckhscr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Wanting to automate logins to a series of Cisco 17xx and 16xx as well as two 36xx series routers so that we can drag some data off and/or create a backup of the config.

As I'm no script genius and can't see straight off how to do this, could someone share the magic incantations required? OS of the interrogating box is Windows 2K.

MTIA - Stuart

6 Replies 6

cwu
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on what data you want to capture there are several options:

1. Use SNMP to query the device. Unfortunately, unless you're using some sort of commercial package with all the nice GUIs (such as CiscoWorks) this requires a fair bit of work. Also some data available from the command line are not available via SNMP.

2. Use a general purpose telnet script (I've written one in perl) to capture the appropriate output. You then have to parse the output to get what you need. What I don't like about this option is that your login and enable passwords have to go over the network in the clear. I much prefer ...

3. If the IOS on the device supports it use the r commands (rsh and rcp). rcp is great for grabbing a copy of the running or startup configs, and rsh for issuing commands and capturing the output. (Not sure if rcp and rsh come with Win2k; you may need to find a commercial or shareware package.) Securitywise, you can configure the device so that only a specific user ID from a specific IP address is allowed to use the r-commands.

Thanks for that - option 3 looks enticing!

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can use RME in CW2000 to do Automated Config Archive/Update and Reterieval OR can use SNMP scripts to collects the configs as well. There are a few with examples at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/index.html

Apologies - thought I'd replied to this.

Thank you.

awo
Level 1
Level 1

http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/config-progs.html

and look for CiscoConf

or other ones 8-)

Many thanks for that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: