cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Available DRAM in 1720 and telnet question

eap
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we upgraded the memory and the IOS image in our 1720 routers from 12.1.1 to 12.2.4(T1). We thus had to upgrade the memory to 8 MB flash and 32 MB RAM. Not realizing the 16MB RAM that came with the router was onboard, we ordered a 32MB DRAM card to go in the DIMM slot and thus we have 48MB RAM total. I have yet to figure out the command that shows me that the router sees the newly inserted 32MB DRAM. When I do a show version, I still only see the original 16MB RAM. How can we know for sure that this RAM is not defective?

Also, when upgrading we changed the console baud rate to 115200 and decided to just leave it that way. Now we cannot telnet into the router, but the console baud rate shouldn't affect this, right?

Thanks,

Paula

4 Replies 4

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

DId you get a cisco official memory upgrade (part # MEM1700-32D=) or a third party memory module?

You can issue a 'show version' to see memory like you did. I would reseat the new memory DIMM just in case it may not be seated good enough.

The baud rate shouldn't have any effect on the telnet session, but if the new 12.2(4)T1 image did load up with the 16meg DRAM you have there may not be enough resources available for the telnet session or other processes to run since 32meg is the min. memory required per the cisco page.

Looking at the Cisco 1700 Motherboard memory location,

the 1720/1721 router only has a single DIMM slot:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/1700/1720/1720hig/upgrds.htm#xtocid2

That means you have to replace the 16MB with a 32MB DRAM.

(MEM1700-16U32D is the product code for the 16-to-32 MB upgrade.)

So probably the 16MB DRAM was not replaced with the 32MB.

Replace the 16MB with the 32MB DRAM and verify with "show version".

(Don't forget to wear a grounding wrist strap prior to opening the router.)

For the second issue, can you still access the router via console?

If not, re-seat the 16MB DRAM and try to access the router again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.

There was no 16MB DRAM to be replaced. The DIMM slot was empty and I read in some documentation that the 1720s had 16 MB RAM onboard. Thus, we just added 32MB more to the DIMM slot. So we should now have 48 MB RAM. I guess we will try another stick of RAM to test if the first one is bad.

2nd issue..yes we can still console into the router, and we can ping it remotely. The weird thing is that I know we were telneted into it once after install and upgrade and it seemed to work fine. That is when I issued the show version and noticed that I couldn't see the added RAM. Then I went to telnet to it again maybe an hour later and nothing. Any other thoughts? It is a remote site and we are sending a technician there today to try and first reseat the memory and then if that doesn't work, try another memory card.

Thanks again. We switched out the memory and was able to telnet in and see the total 48 MB when issuing a show version. There must not been enough resources available for telnetting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: