Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Back-to-Back ATM

I am just starting to get into ATM and wanted to build a few back-to-back ATM links. I was wondering if this is possible? I have 2 4700 routers with ATM DS3 cards in them and 2 4500m routers with ATM DS3 modules in them. I have the unit connected together and have link lights on these mods but still can not communicate.

Thanks,

James Robinson

4 REPLIES

Re: Back-to-Back ATM

With Frame Relay, a router can act as a switch, providing the nessary signaling to communicate directly with another device. ATM, however, needs a switch for proper operation. You will need to connect your machines together with an LS1010/5500 with 1010 modules, or some other ATM switch.

I thought that same thing but at one time I found a document on CCO that explained how to do this (back-to-back). Of course I did not bookmark it. Thanks for you help.

Cisco Employee

An ATM switch is only required if you need to setup SVCs. If you want to do a basic PVC configuration, simply connect them back-to-back and configure one of the 2 routers to provide the clock.

Here is a sample config:

router 1

======

interface atm 0

atm clock INTERNAL

no shut

interface atm 0.1 point-to-point

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

pvc 0/100

router 2

======

interface atm 0

no shut

interface atm 0.1 point-to-point

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

pvc 0/100

The only thing to be careful with is that both routers must use the same VPI/VCI for the PVC.

I will try to configure it tommarrow (10/31/02) and let you know how things went.

Thanks!

James

Views
Helpful
Replies